4 Things to Consider When Choosing Siding
It’s finally time to update the exterior of your property, and now you need to decide which siding will be best. There are four main factors to consider when deciding which siding will suit your needs.
The primary factor at the forefront of most peoples’ minds when it’s time to replace their siding is: what’s this going to cost me? The first step in choosing whether wood or vinyl siding will work best for you is setting your budget.
The curb appeal and aesthetic you’re looking to add to your home will play a major role in your decision for which siding to choose. Wood might be more appropriate if you’re looking for a more traditional style while vinyl could be more suitable for a modern look.
Installing new siding in Berlin is a major investment, and you’ll want to know that your new siding will last. The durability of your siding material can make a big difference in your decision.
Wood and vinyl have very different maintenance levels. Your willingness and ability to perform routine maintenance on your siding should be a definite consideration when you’re deciding which option is best for your Berlin property.
Vinyl siding has several different pros and cons that will help you decide if it’s a good choice for you.
- Vinyl siding will not need to be repainted.
- Vinyl is an inexpensive siding choice.
- Low maintenance is the name of the game when it comes to vinyl siding.
- There are virtually endless style and color options.
- Repairs for broken siding are very easy and can be done quickly.
- Installation is fast and easy.
- Installation is easy, but must be done properly to avoid damage down the road.
- Vinyl is not an environmentally friendly option.
- While color options are virtually unlimited, vinyl will eventually fade and vinyl is next to impossible to paint if you want to change the color.
- Vinyl is long lasting, but not terribly durable and is prone to breakage.
Like vinyl, wood siding will have a variety of pros and cons for you Berlin home that will need to be carefully considered when making your decision.
- With its ability to be stained and painted there are limitless options for colors that can be readily changed over the life of the siding.
- Wood siding is very environmentally friendly from the manufacturing process to its biodegradability once it’s reached the end of its life.
- Well-maintained wood siding can last decades.
- Wood siding is considered a high end siding and can add value to your home.
- There are multiple choices for the style of wood siding you choose from tongue and groove to wood shakes.
- Wood siding is a relatively expensive siding options, especially when compared to vinyl.
- Wood siding is extremely high-maintenance with the need to be re-stained or repainted every 3-5 years to prevent moisture damage. It also needs to be cleaned at least once a year to remove dirt and mildew.
- Termites are attracted to wood siding just as much as any other wood, so termite prevention is imperative.
- Depending on the siding chosen, wood siding can have a poor flame spread fire rating.
How Do I Decide Which Is Best?
The key to choosing whether wood or vinyl siding will work better for you Berlin home is carefully weighing the pros and cons of each material and comparing those with your specific needs. You’ll want to balance your budget with your desired design, durability, and maintenance levels to find the perfect solution for your home.
If you’re ready to explore your siding options, call Artisan Building & Remodeling LLC in Berlin to schedule an appointment!